During this time of crisis when sanitizing work areas and equipment is so critical, many of our customers and partners have asked us to provide further instructions for safely cleaning the touchscreen displays on their Horizon equipment. To prevent damage to your touchscreen, it is very important to follow the procedures outlined below, which were obtained directly from our manufacturers. Please pass along to the appropriate people in your company.
Supplier-recommended guidelines for cleaning touchscreen controls:
- The device is only permitted to be cleaned when power is switched off in order to prevent unintended functions from being triggered by touching the touchscreen or pressing keys.
- Use a soft or lightly moistened cloth to clean the device.
- Only use water with neutral detergent, a screen cleaning agent, or isopropyl alcohol to moisten the cleaning cloth. See CDC guidelines for strength of alcohol product: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/disinfecting-building-facility.html
- Apply the cleaning agent to the cloth beforehand. Do not spray it directly on the device!
- Never use aggressive solvents, chemicals, scouring agents, pressurized air or steam-jet air ejectors.
Suggestions to minimize contamination/re-contamination:
- Clean operating touch points at start of work and end of work.
- Require each operator to use a personal common touchscreen stylus.
- Tape a clear plastic food wrap over the touchscreen and replace daily or at the time of operator change.
- Other contact areas of the machine can be sanitized using the same substance and procedure as the touchscreen or other methods as recommended by the CDC.
Thank you for your attention to these important cleaning procedures. Please direct any questions to our Technical Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org